by Ariel Toaff
[TRANSLATION INTO ENGLISH – COMPLETE TEXT]
REVISION DATE SEPT. 14, 2007
ROSH HOSHANA, NIGHTFALL (5768)
Candia = Venetian Crete
Serenissima = the city of Venice
Veneto = region northeast of Venice
Mestre = closest mainland city to Venice
Podestà = magistrate
Ratisbona = Regensburg, Germany
Salamoncino, Simonino, Simoncino = diminutives of Solomon, Simon.
Avogaria di Comun = similar to district prosecutor’s office
We have semi-Italianized the names of certain German Jews living in Italy. Ex.: Samuele da Nuremberg. This is to distinguish them from Germans living in Germany, ex.: Andrea of Rinn.
ON THE TRANSLATION :
Prof. Toaff writes with a very large vocabulary, using many words from the Veneziano and Veneto dialects.
His sources include not only the modern derivative literature in English, French, Italian, French and German, but the original documentation in Hebrew, Yiddish, Latin and medieval Italian, sometimes a thousand years old.
He does not translate or italicize the medieval Latin or Italian in his footnotes. These are sometimes in a mixture of languages as well.
In most cases, the material contained in the footnotes is simply paraphrased in the text. Where we have attempted to translate this material, it appears in [in square brackets]. All translators’ notes are in [square brackets].
Ex.: “Chi cerca dove non deve, trovarà qualcosa che non gli piace.” [“He who looks where he shouldn’t, will find something he will not like”]. [Sicilian proverb].
We will continue to translate the Latin in the footnotes and will issue periodic updates and revisions, all bearing the latest revision date.
Our aim is to produce an absolutely perfect complete translation, including the Latin where it is of any interest.
If these texts disappear from one site, they will reappear someplace else. Just search for it. This is a long-term project.
The present translation retains the original footnote numeration, but places the footnotes at the end of each chapter, instead of lumping them together at the end of the book. To our knowledge, no legal action has been taken against people posting this material on the Internet. In rare cases, letters have been received demanding that the text be removed. That’s all. If you’re worried, just check and see whether the on-line Italian texts are still there.
ON THE TEXT:
Prof. Toaff has since partially recanted, and now maintains that:
– yes, Jews are a corrupting and disruptive element in society;
– yes, Jews lend money at 40% and seem to do little else;
– yes, Jews buy and sell justice with huge bribes;
– yes, Jews pull off all sorts of fraudulent bankruptcies and swindles;
– yes, Jews resort to poisoning and assassination when thwarted;
– yes, Jews are obsessed with hatred for Christians and the Christian religion;
– yes, Jews kidnapped and castrated Christian boys on a large scale and sold them into slavery in Islamic Spain for centuries;
– yes, Jews used [and still use?] human blood in all sorts of quack remedies, despite the Biblical prohibition, even for minor complaints;
– yes, Jews used [and still use?] Christian human blood in their matzoh balls at Passover;
– yes, Jews used [and still use?] Christian human blood in their wine at Passover;
– yes, the blood had to be from Christian boys no more than 7 years of age;
– yes, the blood had [has?] to be certified kosher by a rabbi;
– yes, there was [is?] a large and profitable trade in fake blood products and animal blood, which was [are?] unsuitable to the purpose;
– yes, Christians tried to sell the blood of Christian boys to Jews, but were rejected because the Jews feared it was animal blood; but no, no Christian boys were ever killed to obtain the blood. Never, never! Or hardly ever. It all came from “voluntary donors”!
Anybody having read the book will simply laugh.
The only “saving clause” is that these charges are made against Ashkenazi Jews only. It would be interesting to see how much filthy “Sephardic linen’ the Ashkenazi could air in public if they so chose. Continue reading